Q – What is the origin of LaSalle Yacht Club Burgee?
(picture of LYC Burgee)
LaSalle Yacht Club was initially organized in 1936 by a small group of residents in the LaSalle area of Niagara Falls, who felt there was a need for a boating and social organization in the city.
Nearly 50 Members became Charter Members and later that year the Club was incorporated.
The first Clubhouse was located at the upper end of Cayuga Island, a little distance upstream and across the Little Niagara River from where the Explorer LaSalle built the “Griffon”, the first sailing vessel on the upper Great Lakes.
Appropriately, an outline of the “Griffon” was selected as the Club’s emblem on its burgee.
Note: The following links are best viewed on a tablet or desktop computer
History and Construction of Le Griffon
LaSalle Le Griffon – 331 Years Later, Has the Griffon Been Found?