Safe Boating Tip # 09 – Safe Boating, PFD
There is definitely a pet PFD violation here!
Equipment 4 – Questions:
1. What are the requirements for a life jacket?
2. Who is required to wear a life jacket?
3. What are the carriage requirements for a fire extinguisher?
4. What are the carriage requirements for visual distress signals?
5a.What are acceptable sound signaling devices on a motorboat less than 39 feet?
5b.What additional sound signaling device is required on boats over 39 feet.
1. One USCG approved, in serviceable condition, readily accessible, and properly sized for each person on a boat
2. Children under the age of 12, anyone on a personal water-craft, a person being towed behind a boat, and everyone on a vessel less than 21 feet from November 1 to May 1
3. One B-1 fire extinguisher on motorboats less than 26 feet: two B-1s or one B-2 on motorboats over 26 and less than 40 feet, USCG approved, in serviceable condition, and readily accessible
4. All vessels 16 feet or over, day and night signals, USCG approved, and if pyrotechnics, they must have a current expiration date; all boats motorized or not must carry nighttime VDS between sunset and sunrise
5a. A horn or mouth whistle capable of producing a blast of 2 seconds or more and can be heard for at least a half mile
5b. A bell